When it comes to freelancing platforms, one of the most popular options is Upwork. As a freelancer on this platform, you are bound by the Upwork User Agreement, which outlines the terms and conditions of using the platform. One section of the agreement that is particularly important to understand is Section 1.3.
Section 1.3 of the Upwork User Agreement is titled “Service Contracts.” This section outlines the terms and conditions of using Upwork`s service contract system, which is used to facilitate work between clients and freelancers on the platform. Here is a breakdown of the most important points to understand:
1. Service contracts must be agreed upon through Upwork: If you want to work with a client on Upwork, you must use the platform`s service contract system to do so. This means that you cannot accept work from a client on the platform and then complete the work outside of the platform (e.g. via email or another communication method). Doing so is a violation of the User Agreement and can result in your account being suspended or terminated.
2. Payment must also be facilitated through Upwork: Similarly, any payments for work done on Upwork must also be made through the platform. This ensures that both parties are protected and that payments are processed securely.
3. Bonus payments must be made through Upwork: If a client wishes to give you a bonus payment for exceptional work, this must also be facilitated through Upwork. This ensures that the payment is properly recorded on the platform and that both parties are protected.
4. Service contracts must be completed according to the terms agreed upon: Once a service contract is agreed upon and work has begun, both parties are expected to fulfill their obligations according to the terms outlined in the contract. If either party fails to do so, it can result in a dispute being opened and potentially negative consequences for both parties.
5. Upwork offers dispute resolution services: If a dispute does arise between a client and freelancer, Upwork offers a dispute resolution process to help resolve the issue. Both parties are expected to participate in good faith and abide by the outcome of the resolution process.
By understanding the terms and conditions outlined in Section 1.3 of the Upwork User Agreement, you can use the platform more effectively and avoid any potential issues that may arise. As a freelancer on the platform, it is important to comply with the User Agreement in order to avoid account suspension or termination and to build a positive reputation on the platform.